Sunday, July 30, 2017

Review: Urban Enemies ed. by Joseph Nassise

Urban Enemies edited by Joseph Nassise is an anthology of short stories about the villains from several popular urban fantasy series. Most of the stories are told from the villain's point of view rather than just being about the villain. Some of them are written in such a way that you can actually feel a moment of empathy for them. Others showcase just how evil they really are.

In total there are 17 stories from the following:  "Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files), Kelley Armstrong (The Cainsville and Otherworld series), Seanan McGuire (October Daye), Kevin Hearne (The Iron Druid Chronicles), Jonathan Maberry (Joe Ledger), Lilith Saintcrow (Jill Kismet), Carrie Vaughn (Kitty Norville), Joseph Nassise (Templar Chronicles), C.E. Murphy (Walker Papers), Steven Savile (Glasstown), Caitlin Kittredge (the Hellhound Chronicles and the Black London series), Jeffrey Somers (The Ustari Cycle), Sam Witt (Pitchfork County), Craig Schaefer (Daniel Faust), Jon F. Merz (Lawson Vampire), Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock), and Diana Pharaoh Francis (Horngate Witches)." (List of authors from Goodreads)

I wasn't expecting to empathize with any of the villains. And I found some of them downright scary. I was not familiar with all of the series. In fact, I was hoping to gain some idea of other urban fantasy series I might enjoy. It was a success in that regard. All of the stories were well written no matter the angle they took. I think my favorite though is the story by Jim Butcher from the Dresden Files. This was one of the authors I had not previously read, but will definitely seek to read again. In truth, I would reread this whole anthology in addition to seeking out other works by the authors. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Urban Enemies is due out August 1, 2017 from Gallery Books. If you enjoy urban fantasy, definitely check this book out.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions are my own and freely given.

No comments:

Post a Comment