Saturday, December 30, 2017

Review: The Emerald Circus by Jane Yolen

The Emerald Circus is a collection of short stories by Jane Yolen. I would say the majority if not all of them are aimed at adults. All are previously published with the exception of The Bird - a short story about Edgar Allan Poe. The tales themselves are mostly retellings or riffs on famous stories or people. Three of the stories are based on Alice in Wonderland. Some examples of inspiration for other stories are Robin Hood, Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast, The Wizard of Oz, Emily Dickinson, and Hans Christian Andersen.

All of the stories are well written. The book includes an introduction by Holly Black. And at the end, there are notes about the stories and poems related to each of the stories. I found even these end notes enjoyable to read. They tell a little about each story and its origins. The poems are an added bonus.

I enjoyed all of the stories, but I have a few favorites: Andersen's Witch, Blown Away, Our Lady of the Greenwood, Evian Steel, and Sister Emily's Lightship. Each I enjoyed for different reasons. All of them had excellent prose. And for example, I felt the characterization of Emily Dickinson in Sister Emily's Lightship to be right on target even though it is a fantastical tale.

I gave this collection 5 out of 5 stars for the quality of the writing. While each was a riff based on another tale or person, I can say that I haven't read anything quite like them. And I love retellings and have read quite a lot of them.

This book is perfect for people who enjoy Jane Yolen's writing and people who enjoy retellings.

The Emerald Circus was published November 14, 2017 from Tachyon.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions herein are my own and freely given.

No comments:

Post a Comment